Skip to main content

Deed transfers in Washington DC

We often receive calls about deed transfers, usually someone asking to add or remove an individual from the deed or title to a property.

People are often shocked to find out that, depending on the type of deed transfer, there may be a Recordation and Transfer Tax involved, even if no money is changing hands.

Here are some frequently asked questions that we’ve encountered over the years in regards to this type of deed transfers:

Need help with a deed transfer?

Speak with a deed transfer expert

I was recently married and want to add my new spouse to title, will this be taxed?

Whether you were recently married or married 50 years ago, adding or removing a spouse from the title to a property is exempt from Recordation and Transfer taxes.

I have a partner and would like for his name to be added to the deed. How much will this cost?

It depends. Domestic partners are exempt from paying Recordation and Transfer taxes on deed transfers, but they must provide proof of their committed relationship by registering as a Domestic Partnership with the Department of Health.

If proof of this registration is provided, Recordation and Transfer taxes will be exempted and the only cost will be for deed preparation and recording of the deed transfer. If you are unable to provide this proof, Recordation and Transfer taxes will be due as well.

How much are the Recordation and Transfer taxes?

Once again, it depends, but this time it will depend on the assessed value of the property and the percentage of ownership of the deed being transferred.

  • If the assessed amount of property to be transferred is less than $400,000, the tax will be 2.2%.
  • If the assessed amount of property to be transferred is $400,000 or more, the tax will be 2.9%.

So, if there currently is one owner, and she is adding a non-exempt individual to title, the city will view it that she is transferring 50% ownership, so if the property is assessed at $500,000, the tax would be computed as follows: 50% of $500,000 = $250,000 x 2.2% = $5,500.00.

I want to add my grandchild to the Deed; will that trigger Recordation and Transfer taxes?

No, deed transfers from parents to a child or grandparents to a grandchild are exempt. It is exempt in the other direction as well.

What about if I add my brother to title?

The District of Columbia does not recognize an exemption for siblings on deed transfers, so adding or removing a sibling will be a taxable transaction.

We recently set up a revocable trust and would like for the property to be transferred into the trust. Will this be taxed?

As long as the individual transferring the property is also the beneficiary of the revocable trust, there will not be a Recordation or Transfer Tax due.

Where can I find more information on this deed transfers in Washington, DC?

The DC Government website lists all the possible Recordation Tax exemptions and Transfer Tax exemptions.

I want to go ahead and move forward with a deed transfer, what should I do next?

Contact an attorney at Federal Title & Escrow Company ( or 202-362-1500) and we can prepare the paperwork for you and record the Deed.

Speak with an Expert from our Team »

Speak with an expert

closing costs, Deed Transfers, Homeowners, real estate, recordation taxes, transfer taxes, washington dc


Comments are closed.