Stress Less with These Nine Tips for Moving Into Your New Home
It’s fun to dream about living in a new home, but the thought of actually moving sounds like a nightmare, right? Well, moving can be a smooth process if you follow these simple strategies.
1. Use A Moving Checklist: Do an Internet search for week-by-week checklists of what needs to be accomplished.
2. Hire A Moving Company: Ask family and friends for referrals. Get three quotes, and before you select a company, make sure it is licensed, insured, and has a good rating with the Better Business Bureau. Choose a moving company as far in advance as possible so that you can get the moving day that you want.
3. Declutter: We all have items that we have not touched or looked at for months, possibly years. These items do not need to be transported to your new home. Now is the time to toss or donate items that you no longer use.
4. Start Packing Now: Pack a little bit at a time, a room at a time, and if you can, take off from work for a day or two. Committing only to weekends and after work to pack can wear you down. If you cannot take time off from work, no problem. Enlist the help of family and friends, and remember to repay the favor when they need help with moving.
5. Label Boxes Accordingly: If you dump all of the boxes in one room, the garage or living room, it will look and feel overwhelming. Instead, if you have a few boxes in each room, it will feel like a manageable task to tackle. Also, use a different color tape or marker per room, or number the boxes by room so it is easier and faster for movers.
6. Get A Babysitter / Pet Sitter: Packing will be a more successful and quicker process if you can focus just on packing, and you will not have to constantly start and stop to change a diaper, prepare then clean up a family meal, or take Fido for a walk. Your children and pets will also appreciate coming back to the calm version of you.
7. Remember Bathroom Essentials: If you can, try to clean at least one bathroom in your new home before moving day so that it is available to use. Otherwise, on moving day, pack your car with cleaning supplies, towels, and toilet paper and freshen up the bathroom as soon as you arrive.
8. Pack an Overnight Bag: For each member of your family, pack toiletries and a day or two of clothing, including pajamas and slippers. Now, you will not have to rip open boxes, frantically looking for a toothbrush or a fresh pair of socks.
9. Take Care of Yourself: One of the most important tricks to lower stress and maintain energy is to stick to a consistent routine. Get plenty of sleep each night, leading up to and including moving day. Eat healthy meals and snacks, and stay hydrated by drinking water.
If you plan in advance, complete a few tasks each day, and be kind to yourself, your moving day can be a pleasant experience.