Understanding 4 types of property surveys

There are several different types of surveys.

The type of survey that we order for closing is called a “Location Survey.” A Location Survey shows the location of the improvements on the property in relation to the apparent boundary lines of the property. It generally involves a physical inspection of the property and is accurate to plus or minus a few feet.

This type of survey will generally cost a few hundred dollars. It should not be used for the purpose of identifying the property’s boundary lines, such as for construction or permit purposes (you’ll need a Boundary Survey for that). When you go to closing, you should feel free to ask the settlement attorney any questions you might have about what is shown on the survey.

Speak with an Expert from our Team »

Speak with an expert

A “Boundary Survey” is used to identify a property’s boundary lines. In this type of survey, the surveyor will set (or recover) the property corners and produce a detailed plat or map. To accomplish this, the surveyor will research the public records and do research in the field, take measurements and perform calculations.

This type of survey is what is necessary for construction and permit purposes, and it can be expensive — possibly even several thousand dollars — depending on the size of the property and how complicated the records are.

For commercial real estate closings, lenders will usually require a type of survey called an “ALTA/ASCM Survey.” ALTA stands for American Land Title Association, and ACSM stands for American Congress on Surveying and Mapping. An ALTA/ASCM survey is a Boundary Survey that must meet certain stringent standards established by these two organizations.

If you are buying a house and you plan on doing construction in the short term, such as putting on an addition or installing a fence, it might make sense to obtain a Boundary Survey as part of your purchase closing. That way, you would not be paying for a Location Survey for the closing and then having to pay for a Boundary Survey after closing.

You would just need to inform the title company so that they can arrange for the surveyor to perform a Boundary Survey instead of a Location Survey.

Property survey in practice

Where questions come up after closing regarding the property lines, but a full survey plat or map is not needed, another option is to have a surveyor “Mark the Property Corners.”

I recently had this done for a property I own in Maryland so that I could install a wood fence where an old wire fence had previously been located but was now mostly missing. I obtained a Location Survey as part of my purchase closing, and that survey showed that there were some discrepancies between the existing wire fence and the property lines.

The fence company installing the new fence did not require a survey and could have simply installed the new fence where the old one had been located, but I decided that I wanted to see where the property corners were. The surveyor had to dig deep holes in the ground to uncover the original iron rods that marked the corners, and then he marked those locations with stakes.

It was not cheap at $480, but, because it didn’t include a plat or map, it was less than a Boundary Survey would have cost. And I’m very glad I did it. It turns out that the back run of the old fence was more than three feet inside my property line. By locating the new fence closer to the actual property line, I was able to enlarge my yard by three feet.

boundary survey, location survey, property survey, real estate, survey map, survey plat

Comments (21)

  • I am just learning about land surveyors, and what they do, and this was very helpful. Particularly, I appreciate you pointing out what property survey looks like when it is put into practice. This seems like it would be beneficial if you were considering putting up a fence around your property.

  • This article was so helpful. I also just need the corners marked. Should I tell the surveyor that? Also can you supply the company you used.

  • I recently purchased a home and paid cash so I did not need a survey. I was given a copy of an old survey by the previous owner but I cannot find the property markers. Would the surveyor that did that one give me a break on just locating the property markers for me?
    Thanks, El

  • Hi El, that’s a good question! You may want to reach out to the surveyor company you have on record to find out if they can help you out.

  • Property surveys are helpful to know exactly about a property. I hope your post about different type of surveys can help people to know what types of survey they require. Thanks

  • Can a land surveyor remove an existing pin and move so my neighbor gets more land. About 15ft.

  • When a “location survey” is done at time of a house purchase – does the surveyor typically mark the lines/corners with stake/ribbon? The seller of our current house had a survey done, but nothing is marked. They are saying we did not ask for it to be marked – and that is now additional cost. Just wondering what is typical.

  • Hi Ed, thanks for your question. A location survey is just a drawing, they do not typically mark the lines or corners. That would be considerably more expensive and is not common.

  • If a survey is required for the loan to process then who is required to pay for it? I would think the seller must ensure the property measurements are correct and would pay for this as is his closing costs or is this something the New buyer is responsible for or is it negotiated. Thank you kindly for your answer

  • Hi Mark,
    In DC, MD and VA the buyer typically pays for the location survey. However, it is something that could be negotiated between the parties.

  • I have property that on a grade with a 7′ tall retaining wall that encroaches onto the adjacent property about 2 feet, for the length of the property. The wall was build in the 1960’s to create a parking lot, and at that time, the person who owned it, also owned the adjacent lots, so she must have assumed building the wall onto the other property was not an issue? I have owned this property now for 20 years and it has not been an issue with the last owner. I have a new person who’s moved in and done a “stake” survey and the lines they have come up with are quite different from all the legal descriptions I have going back to 1943. I’m wondering if I should have a survey done myself, and what type? Is there any recourse for this, or would this be a case for adverse possession? I live in MI. Thanks!

  • Hi Jack,
    A boundary survey will likely help you determine the proper property lines. However, the adverse possession laws can differ significantly per state so you should check with an attorney in your state about the possibility of an adverse possession claim.

  • Leslie Marisol Cobar

    Hi , I need a property survey done just to put up a fence. Do I have to have markers I don’t have the money. My town needs it for my permit

  • Hi Leslie,
    It will really depend on what your town requires for the permit. They might only require a location survey, which will be significantly less expensive, but permits often do require markers to be placed.
    Nikki Lyon

  • My husband and I are looking to purchase several acres of land off our neighbor. His property butts up to ours so we basically want to expand our property lines. What type of surveying would we need to have done?
    Thanks in Advance.

  • Hi Teah,
    A boundary survey would be recommended, as that will include markers and official measurements. Hope this info helps you.
    Thank you for your question.
    Nikki Lyon

  • It seems important to have a boundary survey done. That way you’ll have proof of the size your lot in case of a dispute. Remember, having additions will actually change your home’s relation to your boundary, so get surveying done whenever you add anything to your home.

  • Can a Legal survey have different forms of horizontal measurements such as one line in Chains, one line in meters, and another line in feet?

  • Hi Zeb,
    Our location surveys use “feet” as the measurement. It would not be typical for the location survey to include different units of measurement for different lines. Hope this helps!
    Nikki Lyon

  • Have a question. I bought my home in Dec. 2014 and the Survey was done for the Title Company on Dec 1, 2014. They located the iron rods and everything is on the Plat of Survey they gave us with our closing papers. My neighbor recently got a survey done claiming a property line dispute, which I didn’t know there was, and the survey she had gotten done puts a stake at least 2 feet into my property. I am so lost on what to do I don’t know where to begin to understand all of this. Can you please help me?

  • Hi Patty,
    You could contact the surveyor and ask for them to review the survey since it is in dispute. Otherwise, you can speak to an attorney about it.

Comments are closed.

©2023 Federal Title & Escrow Co.
5335 Wisconsin Avenue, NW Ste 400
Washington, D.C., 20015
Email: info@federaltitle.com


REALSafe™ Closing Solutions »

®All rights reserved | Sitemap | Privacy Policy