Top Home Warranty Companies for Washington D.C., Maryland, and Virginia
If you own a home for any length of time, something will break down, but there is no need to panic because with home warranty coverage, help is on the way.
We compiled an overview of three of the leading home warranty companies and a couple of honorable mentions that service Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia. All offer plans with varying coverages for systems, appliances, and add-on items. The following prices are approximate, as actual monthly fees are determined by the amount of coverage desired, and location and square footage of the home.
American Home Shield. Established in 1971, this nationwide company, is well-regarded in the home warranty industry due to its nearly five decades of fantastic customer service and comparable prices with three tiers of coverage: ShieldSilver, ShieldGold and ShieldPlatinum.
- The lower the monthly cost you choose, the higher the service fee. Choose a higher monthly fee and the service fee lowers.
- Approximate monthly payments: $35-$75.
- Service fee: $75-$125.
- No home inspection is required.
- Will accept items with known pre-existing conditions.
Choice Home Warranty In business since 2008, Choice Home Warranty is also a nationwide company that offers competitive prices and excellent customer service with their Basic and Total plans.
- Approximate monthly payments: $40-$55.
- Flat service fee: $85.
- A home inspection is not required, but recommended.
Select Home Warranty Providing coverage with Gold Care, Bronze Care and Platinum Care plans since 2010, Select Home Warranty offers services in most states, excluding Washington state, Nevada, Wisconsin, and New York.
- Approximate monthly payments: $50-$65.
- Flat service fee: $75.
- All plans have free roof coverage.
Cinch Home Services-Honorable Mention- Formerly HMS National and Cross Country Home Services, and in business since 1978, Cinch Home Services is known for its user-friendly claims process. Technicians are available in the lower 48 states with no service provided in Alaska or Hawaii. Their Appliance, Built-in Systems, and Complete Home plans also offer air condition filter or water filter credit, and a water sensor.
- Pay a low monthly fee, your service fee will be higher. Pay a higher monthly fee, your service fee will be lower.
- Approximate monthly payments: $28-$40.
- Service fee: $100-$150.
- Great use of technology: YouTube, Instagram and Facebook.
- Customers can use an online portal to view a service plan, create or update preferred payment, initiate a service request, and track the progress of repairs.
Super-Honorable Mention- Since 2015, this subscription-based company has been servicing homes in Washington, D.C. and five states only: Maryland, Virginia, Arizona, Illinois, and Texas, utilizing easy-to-use technology. Customers can choose from Secure, Signature, and Lux plans.
- On Super’s website, calculate monthly plan costs based on your location and the size of your home.
- Monthly costs on a house below 5,000 square feet: $64-$119.
- Flat service fee: $75.
- Access to Maintenance Service with copays ranging from $75-$149, is available in each Super service plan; these services include bi-annual checks on HVAC systems, pest control, and dryer vent cleaning.
- Concierge Services available for an additional fee. Services include handyman work, window cleaning, electrical services, and gutter cleaning.
Before you choose a home warranty company, determine the amount of coverage you need and how much you want to spend. Check the websites of home warranty companies, as they typically run specials for newly-signed customers.